I find the concept of Wiki a very interesting one - to take the sources of knowledge from "Authoritive" sources to "everyman" almost flies in the face of everything libraries have stood for.
Libraries have always been seen as a great source of knowledge because the information had been vetted and the source "approved".
However, even in my working life I have used Wikipedia and found it a great source of current cultural information - if you want to know an authors background or even if they are still alive it is a great source of info.
So far I haven't ever proved it wrong but I know that it has happened, so I would use a little caution in quoting it as a source of info.
For libraries, I can see the value in an inhouse wiki for a procedures and training database.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment