Thursday, May 15, 2008

Social networks

I know there is a huge interest in social networking sites for people in their personal lives and I think that is where the main interest will always be.
It is interesting to note that of all the Learning 2.0 sites that we have had to use or look at during this training, Facebook is the only one that our I.T. people have blocked. The map provided by LeMonde showed very small use of Facebook in Australia but based on the anecdotal evidence of my own kids (and their friends) and that our I.T. said Facebook was in the top 3 of all sites used by Council Staff PCs (before they blocked it) I think that the balance may be shifting away from MySpace and onto Facebook. Is this going to be a bit like the old battle between beta and VHS and if you opt for Myspace over Facebook you will eventually run out of friends or do you have to maintain 2 friends networks.
I think networking in libraries has always been of great importance - We rarely start a new project or make changes to our system without canvassing opinions of other libraries via networks like NSWpln and our ILMS User group. If things like facebook can offer an alternative method to keeping the information exchange alive then I am all for it.
Many times I have attended sessions at the State Library and come away with phone numbers or email addresses scribbled in my notes from people who I have had discussions with over morning tea, but if we had a network where you could put faces and names together and continue the discussion it would be great.
If we wish to maintain relevance to kids & teens then social networking is the way to go. Our library has just established a book club for primary school kids and to create a social network for these members would be fantastic.
I am less keen on the second life idea - to me this is just a game.
I was very intrigued to see that the American Library Association is a 102 year old FEMALE!

No comments: